Civil Engineering Intern (EIT) - Ottawa
As a member of our team, you will be responsible for engineering project management, administration, design, and business development related to a variety of civil engineering work, including:
- City of Ottawa integrated design projects
- Sanitary and storm sewers
- Water supply and distribution
- Site grading and drainage
Role and Responsibilities
The role and responsibilities for the Civil Engineering Intern (EIT) include, but are not limited to, the following. Employees may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet Jp2g’s ongoing needs.
- Work under the direct supervision of project manager or civil engineer
- Perform routine engineering assignments including design of storm and sanitary sewers, culverts, subdivision and/or site plans.
- Prepare drainage studies, stormwater management designs and reports, and master servicing studies
- Prepare technical specifications and cost estimating
- Assist in site reviews, field inspections, and shop drawing reviews
- Adhere to Jp2g’s AutoCAD standards in preparing CAD drawings from sketches, mark-ups, and/or design
- Complete tasks assigned by Section Manager as required to assist in the completion of projects and the continued success of the firm
- Assist in researching new systems, resources, analytical processes, procedures and working practices to identify and implement changes to increase efficiency, productivity, and overall profitability
- Maintain familiarity with current techniques, codes, and standards; sustain and improve technical skills
- Work with a team of project managers, engineers, and technologists
- Attend co-ordination meetings with design team
- Ensure proper coordination of documents with the other design disciplines
- Coordinate with industry, other disciplines, and clients
- Build and maintain positive relationships with colleagues, other consultants, and key stakeholders to ensure projects run smoothly and to resolve concerns promptly and efficiently
- Share expertise with colleagues and other offices
- Manage project tasks within assigned time and budget constraints
- Complete projects independently when required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in civil municipal engineering – design and construction
- Valid Driver’s license
- Eligible to seek security clearances with the Federal Government
- ISO 9001:2015 Fundamentals Training (provided by Jp2g)
- Enrolled in PEO’s Engineering Intern (EIT) program.
- Ability to work in a complex and fast-paced team environment, dealing with multiple projects and clients.
- Sound English language communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong desire for advancement and professional development
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Experience using AutoCAD / Civil3D
- Bilingual (English and French) is considered an asset, including proficiency in technical translations
- Reliable vehicle access is required
Compensation and Benefits
- Friday afternoons off year-round (36 hour/week)
- Group RSP planning opportunities
- Professional development and advancement opportunities
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Future shareholder opportunities
How To Apply
Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject: 22-O08 –Civil Engineering Intern (EIT)
Proof of vaccination may be required to accommodate client-specific requirements.
Jp2g is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. We will accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes, and when people are hired. We will develop and put in place a process for developing individual accommodation plans and return-to-work policies for employees that have been absent due to a disability.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).